Darn Winter


Darn winter

OK, so it’s dead of winter and ice has taken over the neighborhood.  As I contemplate when I will take time to go outside to shovel the driveway, I decide to put on my coat and boots  and raise my garage door to assess the challenge.  Little did I know that I was being dared, by the sheet of ice, to take one step outside.  So I did, and down the driveway I went, sliding about 5 feet onto the street.

Completely shocked, yet laughing, I sat there in disbelief.   Then I got up, looked up at the house, examined the 3” sheet of ice not only on the driveway, but also on the sidewalk and grass.   Again, I laugh wondering, ‘How am I going to get back to the house’, lololololol…  So, as best I could, in between laughing breaks,  I yelled for my daughter.  Of course, she’s in her room with the door closed, oblivious to what is going on downstairs let alone outside.  So I needed a plan.  I surveyed my choices and decided that I would try to walk sideways, up the grass, then over to the garage door and into the garage, right? 

After about 15 minutes of determination, I was able to press my fingers into little crevices finagle my feet, knees, hands and  weight just right to make it up the hill (it’s really a slight incline, but when icy feels like a dang gone mountain).  Then, the trick was to get myself over to the  left garage door, so I stayed on my hands and knees, pressed my body as close to the right garage door (almost in a linear position), but after just one maneuver,  down I went, sliding back down the driveway and back into the street.  Laughing hysterically (was actually a pretty fun ride), I again called for my daughter (see, the trick was to have her toss me a rope, then reel me in), but to no avail. 

When at first you don’t succeed, say a prayer, shake it off,  swing your arms back/forth, get the kinks out of your neck and try again.  Once again, I made it up the incline via the grass.  This time I thought to stand up, and place my feet right up against the right garage door (which was closed), where I could see a little bit of ground.  As if walking on a ledge, I managed to keep my body pressed against the garage door until my right  



hand reached the left garage door opening.  I held on for dear life, and dove into the garage.  There I lay, out of breadth, impressed with myself, then burst out laughing hysterically. 

Guess who shows up…my daughter.  She hears me in the garage laughing, so opens to see what was so funny.

I know, right?!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection, Refection, Resolution

Feelings - Denial of the Heart

Who are you - am I